Top Causes, Types Of Acne And How To Treat And Prevent Them
Our skin has small pores that can get blocked by dead skin cells, bacteria, dirt, and oil. This can result in acne and breakouts. Moreover, getting pimples over and over again can cause severe acne. But, one can treat acne with care to prevent scar formation and stop other future acne breakouts. Here, we will discuss the top causes, and types of acne, and how can you treat them.
Top causes of acne
Fluctuations of hormones are the main cause of acne. It is an active problem among teenagers and adults. Due to the sensitivity of hormones along with skin bacteria, and fatty acids in oil glands, acne occurs. Some of the other top causes of acne are as follows.
- Puberty and pregnancy: Teenagers and pregnant women can experience hormonal changes that can lead to acne.
- Lack of sleep: When you are not getting the required amount of sleep, it can become a cause of acne.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: Acne breakouts can also occur if someone suffers from PCOS.
- Oily products: Some moisturizers, cleansers, and creams have a high content of oil that can clog your pores and irritate your skin causing acne.
- Stress: If someone is under too much stress, their skin reacts internally with acne breakouts.
- Weather: Highly humid weather can result in acne.
- Medications: Few medications such as lithium, kinds of hormonal birth control, steroids, and anticonvulsants can sometimes make your skin react in the form of acne.
- Genetics: You can also get acne if someone or the other in your family suffers from acne.
- Diet: Foods that are rich in carbohydrates such as chips and bread can worsen your acne. Therefore, certain dietary restrictions can help in controlling your acne.
Types of acne
All the different types of acne are as follows.
- Whiteheads and blackheads: You may see whiteheads and blackheads when your pores become clogged with excessive bacteria, oil, and some dead skin cells. Due to the closing of the pores, you may see small bumps that appear flesh-coloured or white. These are the whiteheads. For treating your whiteheads and blackheads, you can try Teenilicious Salicylic Acid Acne Care Kit.
- Pimples with pus: Pus-filled pimples look similar to blemishes. And they generally have a yellowish fluid inside them. In these kinds of pimples, you will see a yellowish or a white coloured centre.
- Pimples and dark spots: In case your skin pores are filled with debris, you will often see dark spots like blackheads. Do not mistake them for dirt and avoid scrubbing them. It will only make your acne worse. To get rid of such pimples and dark spots, you can use Teenilicious Azelaic Acid Acne Care Kit.
- Papules: Papules are another type of acne blemish. Teenilicious Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Care Kit can enable you to treat these papules.
- Cystic acne and nodules: These types of acne go deep under the skin and can result in permanent scars after healing completely. So, use a face cleanser with Benzoyl Peroxide if you want to prevent scarring.
How to treat acne?
To treat acne, you must first have a diagnosis to know what type of acne you have. Your dermatologist may conduct a skin examination. In addition, they may ask you questions such as if you are going through some stress in your life and if any of your family members suffer from acne.
Grade one or mild acne includes blackheads and whiteheads with pustules and papules. Moderate or grade two acne will comprise several pustules and papules. And, it will affect mostly your face. Moderately severe or grade three acne will have multiple pustules and papules along with some nodules that will look inflamed. Your chest and back may also get affected. Chronic nodulocystic acne can be inflamed, large, and painful. For this, your dermatologist may recommend the following types of treatment.
Your dermatologist may ask you to find a good salicylic acid face cleanser. It will help in removing the affected layer of your skin. Salicylic Acid enables your skin to get rid of the dead skin cells to prevent the clogging of your hair follicles.
Another way to treat acne is to use over-the-counter Benzoyl Peroxide in the form of a wash or a gel. It will target the bacteria present on the surface of your skin that is responsible for aggravating acne. Dryness or irritation can happen in the first few days but eventually, such symptoms will subside and your acne will get better.
Azelaic Acid is a natural acid that is found in different types of grains such as rye, barley, and wheat. It helps in killing the microorganisms on your skin and also relieves swelling.
The use of antibiotics will allow you to regulate the bacteria on the surface of your skin that causes acne with swelling. When you use antibiotics along with benzoyl peroxide, it works the most effectively.
Retinoids are derivatives of Vitamin A. They help in breaking up whiteheads and blackheads and also prevent the formation of clogged pores. The retinoid medications do not work as spot treatments instead you must apply them to the whole area of the skin that is affected by acne. Because of this, your skin will remain properly moisturized which will heal all your existing acne.
Ways to prevent acne
You can also prevent your acne with the following methods.
- Stop picking: Picking on your pimples or rubbing your face can increase and spread your acne more rapidly.
- Avoid scrubbing: Scrubbing your acne can make your skin more sensitive which can affect your acne.
- Hair washing: It’s important to wash your hair daily as it is the main cause of the existence of clogged pores on your skin.
- Reduce irritants: If you use makeup on your skin, it can irritate it further. Hence, you can use oil-free makeup.
Acne can occur due to various reasons that include puberty, pregnancy, stress, the use of oily products, PCOS or polycystic ovary syndrome, genetics, medications, and diet. To treat acne, you must first be aware of the different types of acne. Some types of acne can be mild, moderate, or severe. You can treat them with Salicylic Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, and Azelaic Acid.
Salicylic Acid works the most effectively for blackheads and whiteheads. Benzoyl Peroxide can help in treating cystic acne. Azelaic Acid can reduce swelling caused by acne. To prevent acne, you can stop picking, avoid scrubbing, wash your hair regularly, and do not irritate your skin using makeup and other oily products.